BoB Leaderboard Chase

Discussion about the Live Arcade tactics game Band of Bugs

Moderator: ninjabees

AC91

BoB Leaderboard Chase

Postby AC91 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:58 am

I have been starting to work on my scores today now that I can see the leaderboards... :P

I thought we needed a thread to discuss scores and strategies, like OKX and CC have. Mostly because I wanted to talk about them... I could care less about you all... :P

So today I started going through single player today in an attempt to get amazing scores. So far I have worked on levels 1-6, and have broken into the top 5 for every one of them. I don't have any first place scores yet though... :( SuddenFruitcake is tearing them up though! Looks like static has a couple #1s too.

I started looking at 7, but can't decide on a great strategy yet. First I am trying to decide whether to haste Maal or the archer. The archer has less health I believe and dies faster, which causes the biggest problem. What have you guys used on this level?
SuddenFruitcake

Postby SuddenFruitcake » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:53 pm

Round 1

Haste archer and rush towards NE corner's stone shooting enemies along the way. Use maal and butterfly and try to kill an enemy.

Round 2

Haste Maal and head towards NW corner's stone attacking anyone if they're in your way. Continue to move archer still attacking a nearby enemy as you contunue. Use butterfly to either weaken an enemy or finish off a weakened one.

Round 3

Put Maal on NW stone and archer on NE one. Use healer to heal [If he's alive] and butterfly to kill a weakened enemy [If any].

Round 4

Use butterfly to kill a weakened enemy if any. If there isnt just move Maal to the center stone.

I got 14,000 ish with it but i seem to always lose the healer so it's not quite the best one out there.
staticwrap

Postby staticwrap » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:34 pm

A tip:

Killing enemies is not important for the score in the early rounds. Speed is. Later rounds, killing as many enemies as possible is key.

As of now, I have 5,6,7,11,14,17, and 18 as #1 scores.

EDIT3: 20 is gone for now, but added level #11
Last edited by staticwrap on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
AC91

Postby AC91 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:50 pm

staticwrap wrote:A tip:

Killing enemies is not important for the score in the early rounds. Speed is. Later rounds, killing as many enemies as possible is key.

As of now, I have 5,6,7,14, and 18 as #1 scores.

A good combo is really key. Taking a few seconds to kill an enemy is better than not taking a turn with that person. You want to take the fewest amount of rounds, but within those rounds take as many kills as possible.
SuddenFruitcake

Postby SuddenFruitcake » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:00 pm

Thing is the amount of points you get for killing on some missions vary.

Most give you about 500 a kill, but in mission 6 for example I can have maybe 7 kills and get only 1000 points. [Id get an exact number but as of right now my xbox is crashed]

Same thing with time though, improving by a couple seconds in some missions gives you more points than improving by the same amount of time in another mission.

Maybe it's just me but from what i can tell the above is true.
Zee

Postby Zee » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:20 pm

Man I got lazy and didn't care about the leaderboards...... Again...........

although I will go back and try to get the top scores soon.
ImageImage
dezombie

Postby dezombie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:26 pm

SuddenFruitcake wrote:Same thing with time though, improving by a couple seconds in some missions gives you more points than improving by the same amount of time in another mission.

Maybe it's just me but from what i can tell the above is true.

The fewer total rounds and the shorter overall game length the more inportant each second in scoring. It is a compounding situation as far as scoring goes. The formula is posted some where on here, but that is the jist of it.

That monkey is going to pay...
Zee

Postby Zee » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:29 pm

ImageImage

staticwrap

Postby staticwrap » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:25 am

I see Lunar has finally managed to get back to the game, with some impressive scores to boot.
LunarDuality

Postby LunarDuality » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:16 pm

Haha...thanks. Yeah, I *FINALLY* got back to it. And the sad thing is that I hadn't been lurking here for like a week (major withdrawl, let me tell you). And I booted up the game and discovered the update and got to working through the end of the story. Many of those scores are first runs through...I guess maybe I *can* compete with you guys! (^_^)
staticwrap

Postby staticwrap » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:02 pm

I just wanna say I am having the best time competing for the number one spots. I completely sucked at OKX.

I wonder where the former #1's went...hmm...
AC91

Postby AC91 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:25 pm

staticwrap wrote:I just wanna say I am having the best time competing for the number one spots. I completely sucked at OKX.

Yeah, I sucked at OKX too. Thanks to many forum tips I got all golds. Lunar's number 1 strategies helped out a lot... :D

Sucks still that I can't get #1s yet. Of course I haven't gotten past level 7 yet for my good scores, so maybe I will get some higher up. So far on levels 1-7 I am still in the top 5 for every one of them. I just have to get through the rest now.
dezombie

Postby dezombie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:28 pm

As much as I enjoy video games I have come to the conclusion that there are very few I am actually any good at.

I think I could actually get all platinum medals, but I am not even going to look at the leaderboards.

That monkey is going to pay...
Konqrr

Postby Konqrr » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:21 am

staticwrap wrote:I just wanna say I am having the best time competing for the number one spots. I completely sucked at OKX.

I had #1 on the first 3 levels and am still in the top 3 on them now :) Only played level 4 twice and haven't played anything after that since the update due to my overwhelming desire to play CC :roll:
LunarDuality

Postby LunarDuality » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:24 pm

dezombie wrote:As much as I enjoy video games I have come to the conclusion that there are very few I am actually any good at.

I think I could actually get all platinum medals, but I am not even going to look at the leaderboards.

That's exactly how I felt until I found my niche with OKX. I played a scenario for the first time and checked the leaderboards and I was 1st overall. I couldn't believe it. I took a photo with my phone I was so amazed and figured it would never last. And then I started getting more and more of them. Good times.

I have a lot of work to do to get all platinums in BoB though.

Return to “Band of Bugs”