BoB Leaderboard Chase

Discussion about the Live Arcade tactics game Band of Bugs

Moderator: ninjabees

stay
NinjaBee

Re: BoB Leaderboard Chase

Postby stay » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:54 am

I should check with Jeremy and Kevin and make sure they don't mind if we reveal all the details.

For starters, you get points for doing these things:

got shoved off map
standing on ice
stepping on web
using a crossbow
using a hammer
using a halberd

among other things... :)

Each time in a game you do those things, though, the value goes down, so just doing the same thing over and over won't earn as many points as you might think.
Wormetti

Postby Wormetti » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:33 am

Thanks for the details. I was right about some of them (the AI shoves my bugs off the map all the time on Two On One) but yeah too many variables, it would have taken a long time to find all those. I wonder how long I will remain the mystery leader now that the details are out.

Is there any chance of displaying the leaderboards on a webpage, so I don't have to boot my 360 to see them?
staticwrap

Postby staticwrap » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:09 pm

Wow, there are a bunch of variables. It was an interesting concept, that's for sure.

I think you're safe Wormetti.
stay
NinjaBee

Postby stay » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:48 am

OK, here are the details:

The game posts to the mystery leaderboard at the end of a level (uh, I think only if you win the level). You get a score based on what you did during that time, added up from several sources. This is added to your mystery leaderboard score, so the mystery score never goes down.

The things are:

* Looking at the icon legend help screen (27)
* Placing a marker (53)
* Attacking with a crossbow, hammer, halberd (24,26,25)
* casting tangle (29)
* changing the music volume (31)
* getting shoved off the map (27)
* move over ice (13)
* move into a web (42)

How many points you get for each thing depends on the thing (as marked above) and on how many times you did that thing, plus a small random value (1-3). Each time you do something in a session it's worth fewer points. This counter resets, either when you exit the game or when you start a new level. I'm not sure on that.

There's *one* more thing you can do that's worth ~51 pts, but I want to keep at least one secret! :)

So, clearly this was way harder and less appealing than we expected. For some reason, we figured people would be interested in the mystery scores enough to unravel the system a bit, and every time we talked about it we got more excited about making it more obscure. In retrospect... uh... that didn't exactly work out as planned. :)
Lifeforce

Postby Lifeforce » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:09 am

Um, wow. That's an interestingly peculiar list of oddities.
staticwrap

Postby staticwrap » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:12 pm

Changing the volume?? I had to reread that one. :lol:
Game Master 627

Postby Game Master 627 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:23 pm

Wow, I... I don't really know what to say to that list.

What made you guys choose those actions in particular? It doesn't seem to follow a certain formula. It just seems like you thought of a bunch of actions in the game, put them in a hat, and picked out a handful and went with it.
stay
NinjaBee

Postby stay » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:27 am

I guess it was something like that! We sort of let the feature get weirder and weirder as we went. And we kept telling ourselves it was too easy, and needed to be more obscure... :?
thermalstone

Postby thermalstone » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:18 pm

I just made a minor update to the FAQ before this went up, but I think I'm done for now. Next time I'm bored, maybe I'll get on and try to climb the mystery leaderboard, but for now I'm happy being in the top ten.
Leaderboards:
#1 Maal's Story
#1 Red Kingdom
#1 Ninja Sticks of Fury
AC91

Postby AC91 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:30 pm

That is awesome! I kind of like the obscurity aspect. I mean nobody would have ever figured that out, but it is still cool in a weird way. If somebody had even figured out one of those early they could have easily taken the lead. But we are all stupid.
stay
NinjaBee

Postby stay » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:29 pm

Haha, no, definitely not stupid, as demonstrated by the ridiculous leaderboard scores and awesome user-created maps I've seen. I think we just took it way too far... :)
Jake

Re:

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:18 am

Kaeporo wrote:Gotta beat my #1 Spider Hunter rank then. I suggest you go after it last, that way you can break your fingers after getting the others to #1.

I think you got it. And I'm actually amazed at how many points you got.

I need to try and get my #1 back in that, but I honestly don't think I can beat your score.
thermalstone

Postby thermalstone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:10 am

I haven't visited this board in ages and so I was shocked when I was cruising the XBox Live market place and saw an expansion for Band of Bugs! Space combat may not be the dirt and leaves I am used to, but I've still got it. Just set the mission 1 high score by over 1000 points. :lol: On to mission 2. I'll give you three guesses as to who will be #1 by next week . . .
Leaderboards:
#1 Maal's Story
#1 Red Kingdom
#1 Ninja Sticks of Fury
AC91

Postby AC91 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:19 am

So stay, it has been a while, and we might as well just get a BoB 2 soon anyway...

So I figured you might just tell us... What is the final secret worth around 51 points?
deragoku

Postby deragoku » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:06 am

I start the game and found the update, and through the end of the story. These scores have many first run through.

Return to “Band of Bugs”