If you liked Band of Bugs...

Discussion about the Live Arcade tactics game Band of Bugs

Moderator: ninjabees

stay
NinjaBee

If you liked Band of Bugs...

Postby stay » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:10 pm

EDIT: I regretfully have to say I unrecommend the trial of Vandal Hearts Flames of Judgement. The trial does a really sucky thing and loses your progress when you buy the game.

So, buy the game or don't buy it, but please don't play the trial!

original post:

----

If you liked Band of Bugs, try Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement:

I haven't played it yet, but Jeremy (the lead designer on BoB) and I are huge fans of the original game, which as a result heavily influenced the design of BoB. I'm really looking forward to playing FoJ this weekend.

Give it a try, if for no other reason than to support tactics games!
Zee

Re: If you liked Band of Bugs...

Postby Zee » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:06 pm

I bought it after the demo ended, then got insanely mad that you couldn't continue where you left off, and had to do the tutorial again. After that, I never played it again (the same thing happened with Sam and Max 2)..... I should re-pick it up though.

Edit: Fixed typo.
ImageImage
stay
NinjaBee

Postby stay » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:21 pm

Actually, you're right, and I agree.

I was SO pissed when I lost my progress. I even wrote to one of the producers at Konami to describe my very painful experience with the game.

And then I wrote a rant to my contacts at Microsoft, as well. Honestly, nobody should get away with this!

I feel conflicted, since I'm a fanatical fan of the series, and the producer is a nice guy.

But I'm going to go edit my earlier post and not recommend it. :( Sorry about that.
stay
NinjaBee

Postby stay » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:27 pm

Hey, while we're on the topic:

What other games do you know of that do this? I'd like to make a list to push the issue with Microsoft.

I had a similar experience with The Secret of Monkey Island. It may have been "just a bug", but man was I furious. That whole trial experience was incredibly sucky, actually. Did you have this experience, too?

So, my list so far (of games that don't let you keep your progress when you unlock the full game) is:

The Secret of Monkey Island
Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement
Sam and Max 2
Zee

Postby Zee » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 am

Sam and Max 1 did this too, Telltale is quite possibly the worst when it comes to XBLA demos, as the wost offender is Wallace and Gromit. Each episode's demo is actually just the first games demo. The demo skips ahead a bunch of times, so it's understandable to not be able to continue, and it's quite short. So it's nowhere near as bad in Sam and Max's case, but each episode's demo being the same isn't going to bring more customers in.

Although, I didn't notice Monkey's island doing this. Mostly because I played the demo for about a minute to check it out. Making sure they didn't screw anything up, then went out the next day to buy MSPs. It was quite late when I downloaded it, and I'm a big fan of MI so I was going to buy it as long as it worked.

I'm quite surprised Microsoft doesn't have something requiring continuation on the purchases of the game. Every game does this besides a few, and rightfully so, despite certain cases. It's quite aggravating to the player to see a "continue the story, buy the game", only to be dumped to the main menu. Besides, it's a great sales tactic to be able to add "continue your progress" to that sentience.
ImageImage

Sam13

Postby Sam13 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:13 am

I will try to play it, Im quit curious.....

Postby laila34 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:11 am

I was SO pissed when I lost my progress. I even wrote to one of the producers at Konami to describe my very painful experience with the game.
Thanks guys...
how to deal with depression

Return to “Band of Bugs”