ToK Content in Editor?

Discussion about the Live Arcade tactics game Band of Bugs

Moderator: ninjabees

Lucifon

ToK Content in Editor?

Postby Lucifon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:59 pm

So I happily downloaded the ToK DLC this morning, however was really disappointed to see theres not 1 piece of the ToK DLC present in the level editor. Most of my playtime goes into playing 2 player coop matches against bots in multiplayer offline when I have a buddy round so its pretty sad to see that I wont get any playtime out of the DLC on this side of things.

Are there any plans to bring it to the level editor?
spacemarine28

Re: ToK Content in Editor?

Postby spacemarine28 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Wow, really. Well I hope the new campain is going to be good.

How is it so far? :roll:
Lucifon

Postby Lucifon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:26 pm

I only tried the first mission to be honest, which I failed on first attempt as the units are completely different so will take a bit of getting used to. A couple of them I had no idea about the range of a skill which seemed to be completely random to say the least.

But yeah it really changes up the gameplay, its alot more head on than BoB Pure. From what I played so far I'd say less strategical but being only on the first level thats very hard to tell so is just an initial impression which should be taken with a grain of salt! The skills and attacks do alot more damage than we're used to from normal BoB and can move alot further. Interested to see new units and how the new gameplay elements come in, as I imagine more strategical elements will come into play
stay
NinjaBee

Postby stay » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:55 pm

No plans for TOK content to be in the editor.

The reason is complicated, but basically the problem is all the unique behavior in ToK: things damaging stuff in nearby squares, special scripted squares in certain levels, all crazy stuff you can't do in the editor.

And the way the editor is built, you can switch from one tileset to another easily, so even if you could build these things in the editor, we'd have to deal with weird problems when you switch to a tileset that doesn't support them... It could be done, of course, but we were already spending WAY too much time getting all this done, and felt it was best to get the content out there rather than get caught in a quagmire of reworking the editor...
Lucifon

Postby Lucifon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Understandable Stay, appreciate the explanation. This level of support and DLC for an xbla title is already unmatched and i'm sure I speak for all the fans in saying we really appreciate it :)
rosetaylor01

Postby rosetaylor01 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:15 am

sorry dear but I don't have any idea about TOK content in editor. I will try to find soltion for that if I get I will definitely reply you. and one thing I like to share with you all is I really like dlc, but they got to stop overcharging us gamers just because we love their games.
NIce Game
Romeo

Postby Romeo » Mon May 03, 2010 7:42 am

Is it not even possible to put the tanks and trucks in the editor? Don't get me wrong, the DLC was FANTASTIC but having some editor options would be absolutely godlike...
People are alot like slinkies: Mostly useless, but fun to watch falling down stairs.
stay
NinjaBee

Postby stay » Mon May 03, 2010 6:29 pm

It got really complicated. Here's why:

The new units in ToK had a lot of custom behavior not in the original game, like interesting effects on nearby squares. This was implemented with custom scripting per level in the new DLC. (We had planned for tons of flexibility in the new DLC levels, so this worked pretty well). But if you tried to play with those units in a generic editor-created level, some of their abilities would be broken.

Maybe we could have done the tank. I'm not sure - I'd have to ask Jeremy.
Romeo

Postby Romeo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:59 pm

Okie dokie. It's not a huge concern, I have absolutely zero regrets, the DLC was a great decision.
People are alot like slinkies: Mostly useless, but fun to watch falling down stairs.
Marmosetofdeath
NinjaBee

Postby Marmosetofdeath » Tue May 11, 2010 9:44 pm

stay wrote:Maybe we could have done the tank. I'm not sure - I'd have to ask Jeremy.

Unfortunately, even the humble tank needs custom scripting unavailable to it outside of the DLC's loving, binary arms.
Romeo

Postby Romeo » Fri May 14, 2010 11:55 pm

LOL! Alright guys, thanks for the information.

Return to “Band of Bugs”