Trial Version Didn't Do It Justice

Discussion about the Live Arcade tactics game Band of Bugs

Moderator: ninjabees

Alymon

Trial Version Didn't Do It Justice

Postby Alymon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:21 pm

Recently started playing the full version of this title, and I'm really enjoying it. I tried the demo version of it when it first released and while I liked it a little bit, I wasn't sold on it and ended up passing on it at the time.

I'm glad I finally got the chance to play the full version though. The game seems to have alot too it and it's becoming more and more tactical as I play more. I think I'm on mission 8 or 9 now (just got the Ninja Bee) and the writing is humorous, the battles are becoming more difficult and more involved and overall I'm having fun. I did experience one game freezing issue, but it appeared to be isolated to my saved game and since the save was at the very beginning of the mission, I just loaded the mission from the start and continued without any further hitches.

Great Job Ninja Bee (I know I'm a little late to the party =) )
stay
NinjaBee

Re: Trial Version Didn't Do It Justice

Postby stay » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:52 am

Thank you.

I completely agree with your assessment. There is very little to promote the fullness of the later game in the initial trial. In fact, the tiny screenshots in the upsell screen are about it! Given the depth of the game, that's pretty sad. In the full game there are extensive spells and special attacks, new units, cool scripted scenarios, and a lot more. There are a number of interesting online game modes, including the innovative Spider Hunter game type, and don't get me started on the DLC. None of that is playable in the trial.

We did try to beef up the trial a bit at the end of development, but it was too little too late. For my part, I spent huge amounts of time considering the overall impact of the game and not enough time considering the trial experience.

So, we tried to apply what we learned from this on A Kingdom for Keflings, though we still haven't totally beaten the problem.

Of course, any problems in the trial don't explain complaints in reviews, since reviewers had access to the full game (and sure, reviews were generally positive, but the scores didn't reflect the real value of the game in my opinion). And in the end, I think our real problem with Band of Bugs is that hardly anybody tries it! It's surprising and depressing how many times in the last two weeks I've heard people say they saw Band of Bugs but never gave it a try.
Grummy

Postby Grummy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:02 pm

Well for me, as soon as I saw the stills I had a feeling I knew what to expect, and I played the demo, and was hooked. It was exactly what I expected and I loved it.

Way back when the main console was the original Playstation, there was a small series of games by Konami which were very similar, Vandal Hearts if I remember the name correctly. They played in much the same way, and I loved them as well. BoB just took what that started and made it so much better in so many little ways. A really skillfull piece of work being a live arcade download and not a full game on a disc.

But I remember when Vandal HEarts was released, the Japanese media were thrilled with it (unsurprisingly) but the UK and American markets were not so enthralled. Though I love BoB I think its too slow and strategic for western markets to truly appreciate, we have a tendency to want our strategy wrapped up in mega explosions and realistic rains of death. Sure some of us do appreciate the game for what it is (if we didn't, you wouldn't have had any sales at all) but I do think we're in the minority unfortunately.
stay
NinjaBee

Postby stay » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:21 am

Grummy wrote:Vandal Hearts

Vandal Hearts is one of my favorite tactics games ever. And it was a big influence for Jeremy (the lead designer on Band of Bugs) as well.
Grummy

Postby Grummy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:28 am

stay wrote:
Grummy wrote:Vandal Hearts

Vandal Hearts is one of my favorite tactics games ever. And it was a big influence for Jeremy (the lead designer on Band of Bugs) as well.

I loved the series. The gameplay style was quality, and the actual storylines were incredible. I can't fault you for letting it be an influence in making Bugs.

It really is a crying shame that BoB didn't sell so well, Id love to have seen a follow up game to it, or even dare I suggest it, an attempt at making it into a fully fledged release.

My money would be guarenteed in either case.

Return to “Band of Bugs”