Japanese translation for Xbox Live Arcade games

Discussion about A Kingdom for Keflings

Moderator: ninjabees

PKA

Japanese translation for Xbox Live Arcade games

Postby PKA » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:31 am

I know that the games by Ninjabee are splended, and I'm really enjoying them.
But, I must say honestly that Japanese translations for Ninjabee's Xbox Live Arcade games are usually very poor.

Below is current status:
Outpost Kaloki X...No translation.
Band of Bugs...Dialogues are not translated.
Cloning Clyde...fine.
A Kingdom for Keflings...Machine translation: generally strange and partially very hard to understand.

It is very regrettable that your games are avoided by Japanese gamers mainly because of the translation issue. I believe that your games themselves are very suitable for Japanese gamer's taste.
Well...yes, I admit that Japanese gamers are too allergic to English. It's another problem they must overcome.

Can't you use some Japanese-native volunteers to polish those and future game's translations? If you want to do it, you can do it because I know some independent shareware developers are doing that way.

If you are interested, many of Japanese gamers - including me - will gladly help you.
All your base are belong to... uh...
All your bases are now under my control!
stay
NinjaBee

Re: Japanese translation for Xbox Live Arcade games

Postby stay » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:03 am

Thanks. To be honest, we hardly ever hear from ANYONE about our translated games, ever. For example, it's a little hard to be excited about the French translation of future games when, after 3 years of making Live Arcade games, I don't remember anyone saying anything to us about the French version!

This is one of the few times I've heard anyone comment on the Japanese translation. I appreciate your feedback!

Outpost Kaloki X: This was our first Live Arcade game, one of our first indie efforts, and we didn't even have unicode support in the engine!

Band of Bugs: Yeah, this was just a cost-saving measure. It was a lot of text to translate. Honestly you're one of the first to comment on the Asian language support in Band of Bugs.

Cloning Clyde: This translation company is a lot more expensive than usual, so that helps explain it.

A Kingdom for Keflings: Your feedback is extremely interesting to me - we trusted the translation company and don't have native-level Japanese speakers at our office to check the results. We certainly paid for a native speaker translation, not machine translation. I will think twice before hiring these guys to do Japanese translation on the next project.

In my experience, using volunteers is not a great option, because we have no leverage to get everything back in a timely manner. They can quit in the middle and we're left with half-translated work. Our games tend to have a lot of text and it's a big commitment.

But again, thanks for your comments. We'll look for other translation options in the future.
PKA

Postby PKA » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:56 am

Thank you for a quick and sincere reply.
I understood that there are fair reasons why some of your games had insufficient translation and that involving volunteers into future game development is difficult.

But, isn't there anything I can do to fix these BAD translations?
If there's anything I can do as a native Japanese volunteer, just tell me.
I want to play "Band of Bugs" and "A Kingdom for Keflings" in a good condition.
And I want more Japanese to play your games!
PKA

Postby PKA » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:31 am

I recently played DLC maps and found the newly added texts in map selection are properly translated. I believe you changed translation company. They did well in Japanese translation.
Thank you.
ilzadiraa

Postby ilzadiraa » Fri May 13, 2011 6:09 am

How do i get my xbox 360 machine to sign into my xbox profile immediatly when i turn it on? My machine broke a few weeks ago. I dont know what i did then but whenever i turned on my xbox 360 it would already have me signed into my xbox profile. My main menu screen would be there and everything.
Last edited by ilzadiraa on Sat May 14, 2011 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Jax

Postby Captain Jax » Fri May 13, 2011 1:13 pm

Start up your Xbox360. Hit the "Guide" button. Sign in. Then while still in the guide, tab right to the "Settings" page. Select "Profile", then "Sign-in Preferences". On this page you can set that up.
Kummiko

Postby Kummiko » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:48 am

Wow... that you paid for a native translation and got a machine one is sickening, there are so many companies out there just waiting to bilk people out of money because they know they have no way of checking... add me to the list of Japanese speakers who would be willing to help in the future! (and a translator husband who would be willing to do some freelance QC!) I completely agree that your games would really appeal to the Japanese audience if they were brought over properly, so it makes me sad to hear that they're incomplete.
[url="http://raptr.com/kumama?src=em_forum"]Image[/url]
josephcush39

Postby josephcush39 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:36 am

any update on japanese conversion
Last edited by josephcush39 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PKA

Postby PKA » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:34 am

Additional Japanese translation status:

DLC for A Kingdom for Keflings...fine (game itself remains machine translation)
A World of Keflings...fine
Ancients of Ooga...fine

It seems the problem is solved in the newer games. I am enjoying these games without frustration.
Captain Jax

Postby Captain Jax » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:23 pm

PKA,
We're happy to hear that you aren't having any difficulties with the newer games!

josephcush39,
Unfortunately there won't be any updates to fix the bad translations. We are just making sure to get good translations the first time for all future projects.
avaviney

Postby avaviney » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:06 am

I was having difficulties with the game but all is good now.
Cyril22

Postby Cyril22 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:48 am

You can use a PS2 controller through one of them PS2/xbox 360 converters. It's great since the PS2 stick are symmetrical similiarly to the arcade twin stick. VO:OT is a great game and I hope that this means the series can continue with a squeal, MARZ doesn't count though.
Last edited by Cyril22 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
demmie

Postby demmie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:00 am

Yeah,, I agree with you, but despite of the language issue, everything are okay.. that makes me best one to play.
"currently developing zombie games"

Return to “A Kingdom for Keflings”